I have to share another conversation I had with my kiddos and their friends...The use ofthe word Nigga, NOPE not in my house! Until our black youth or all youth for that matter can tell me other notable African Americans in history OTHER than MLK, Rosa Parks, Malcom X and the history of the word, the answer will always be NO. I may engage the idea of a debate (they usually loose at that game). I could just simple say "You can't say it because I said so" but what would that teach? Nothing.
Not that me certificate in African American History makes me an expert but it shows my kids and their friends that I made a choice to learn about me, about them, about us.
Who is Booker T. Washington? And what did he contribute?
Who is Ida B. Wells? And what did she contribute?
What do their words mean? How have they helped us?
Where does the word Nigga belong?
Not in my house! period.com


No comments:
Post a Comment